Magnificent Stained Glass windows above the altar are a cynosure of all visitors. The 25 ft. Stained Glass above the Altar was created by Scottish artist Alex Ballantine and his assistant Gardiner, fusing 15 panels into one, in order to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of the reign of Queen Victoria in 1897. At the base, are the Old Testament characters of Abraham, Moses, King David and Prophet Isaiah (are etched and painted) The top are the apostles of Christ – St. Andrew, St Peter, St Paul and St John are painted. Above this, there is the Burning Bush, which is the motto of the Church of Scotland, it reads, Nec Tamen Consumebatur (Latin) – ’Yet it was not consumed’, an allusion to Exodus 3:2. Alpha symbol on the left and Omega symbol on the right, signifying beginning and the end. On the very top is painted the Lord Jesus Christ, as King and Judge.
In the late 1970s, the Stained Glass started sagging backwards, and had to be supported by iron beams from behind to strengthen the panels. In 2019, LED lights were placed on the grillwork behind the stained glass; this enabled the stained glass to be viewed even at night.