The Foundation stone of St. Andrew’s Church was laid on the 22nd November 1864. The large Scottish population at a glittering ceremony at Bangalore rejoiced when Lady Grant laid the Foundation Stone for the proposed St. Andrew’s Kirk. The church was consecrated in memory of Mary Elizabeth McGoun, who died in the year 1867, she was the wife of Col. Thomas McGoun of the 6th Madras Native Infantry. St. Andrew’s Church in Bangalore was once known as the martyr’s church. The monument to the memory of Mary Elizabeth is located at the end of the church altar.
The splendid St. Andrew’s Church as it stands today, was opened for public worship on the 22nd November 1866. It was called “Red Kirk” as the external structure was painted red. The church was named after the Scottish Patron, Saint Andrew. The church was consecrated by Rev. Stewart Wright on the 18th of November, 1866.
The Foundation Stone of this Edifice Sacred to
ALMIGHTY GOD, the FATHER, the SON, and the HOLY GHOST, was laid on the Twenty-second day of November, in the Year of Our Lord One thousand Eight hundred and Sixty-four, and in the Twenty-eighth year of the Reign of Our Sovereign Lady QUEEN VICTORIA.
His Excellency the Right Honourable Sir John L. M. LAWRENCE, Baronet,
G. C. B. and K. S. I., being Viceroy and Governor General of India.
His Excellency Sir WILLIAM THOMAS DENISON,
K. C. B., Governor of the Presidency of Madras.
His Excellency Lieutenant General Sir James HOPE GRANT, G. C. B., Commander-in-Chief of Her Majesty’s Forces in this Presidency.
Major General the Honourable AUGUSTUS A. SPENCER,
C. B., Commanding Mysore Division.
Chaplains of the National Church of Scotland in the Presidency of Madras.
The Reverend J. RUTHVEN MACFARLANE, M. A.,
The Reverend STEWART WRIGHT,
The Reverend ALEXANDER WALKER,
The Reverend AUGUSTUS CLIFFORD BELL, M. A.,
The Ceremony of laying the chief Corner Stone was performed by Lady GRaNT in the presence of a large Assembly; an address being delivered by Colonel DoBBs of the Mysore Commission, and Religious Services conducted by the Reverend ArGUSTUS CLIFFORD BeLL, M. A., and the Reverend StewaRr WRIGHT, Chaplains of the Church of Scotland.
In this Urn are deposited copies of the ” Church of Scotland, Home and Foreign Missionary Record,” and pieces of money which are the current and legal coins throughout Her Majesty’s possessions in India, viz., in Silver, one Rupee, one half Rupee, one four Anna piece, and one two Anna piece; in Copper, one half Anna, and one Pie.
The Edifice, connected with the National Church of Scotland, and belonging to the Government of India, about to be erected upon this Foundation, is hereby dedicated to Almighty God, the Creator of all Worlds, and the Father of all Spirits, the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last. Him we Christians Worship, in the name of Jesus Christ, the Eternal Son of the Father, who died for our offences and rose again for our Justification; and in Him we child-likely confide, believing that He is our all-loving, all-powerful, all-sufficient Saviour,
” Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.”